Sunday, November 1, 2009

Cyclocross Season 2009: Rainier, Oct. 11

Race Report

Cross Crusade Rainier, Oct 11, 2009

Seems like just a couple of weeks ago it was Short Track Night, 102 degrees and Sage, Eileen and I soaked our jerseys in ice water, then put the ice in the pockets just to stay cool!! My how the seasons change. Waaaaah….

It’s cold. No need to double up on the Endurolites. I had some warmup issues on my trainer, things were not working as smoothly as they should. So I jumped off, and tried to finish my warmup on the road and a convenient grassy hill near the parking lot.

Well, that’s the way it goes. I’m debating clothing options, the sun is breaking through the clouds and warming ever so slightly, so I opt for embrocation on my legs and a long sleeve base layer under my jersey.

Then we wait at least 20 minutes for the call-ups. I’m cold again! The uphill start throws me way past my LT but I just barely manage to stay on Sarah’s wheel. Lots of people pass me, but I pass a few back on the fun and bumpy descent. I see Sarah nearly lose it… great recovery! I had a front row seat for that!! And then off she goes. I can’t hang.

I spend the next lap and a half re-warming up and trying not to blow myself up (oops! Too late!), by Lap 3 I’m finally passing people again. I’m trying very hard to power out of the corners, pedal hard, keep my eyes and shoulders up for the barricades (don’t look down!) Kris from Cyclepath and I go back an forth and now I’m gaining on Eileen. Bell lap. Darn, I could use one more lap, the course is so much fun and I’m finally feeling good.

Wait, Eileen’s off her bike, running. Mechanical. No way! I keep going as hard as I can the rest of the lap. Across the football field, through the woods, up and around the swingset then the big climb to the finish. Lap traffic on the hill… Kris pips me at the very top to finish just ahead of me.

A disappointing 18th place finish in the Women’s Masters A 35+… second to last not counting Eileen… sorry I’m not helping much in the Loo Cup.

But I rode hard, I had a blast, and I enjoyed meeting a lot of newly minted Sorellas and hanging out with everyone. Good job all! Seems like our cheering section grows every week!

See you all next week in Sherwood, maybe by then my dust cough will be done, too!

No comments:

Post a Comment