Sunday, November 1, 2009

Mt Bike, PIR Short Track 2009: Round 2 of 7, June 29

PIR STXC Round #2, June 29, 2009.

Cat 2 Womens 35-44, 2nd place!

After the Jedi weekend Sage, Eileen and I are all wondering if we were going to race Monday night. I knew I was, even though my legs were toast. I preregistered for all of them, and they’re such fun I figured why not, maybe Sage or I too could pull a “Sarah T” and finish strong after a long weekend. Eileen didn’t show, Sage did and so did Kronda (Yay! Good job!) and jr. members Sasha and Birch, (good job you two! 1 and 2! Yay!) and Zan, not racing but poaching a preview and playing with us on the boardwalk. (C’mon, you know you want to!)

Well though I gave it everything I had, it was still only about 85 percent. No rocket launch start but a decent one, I hung onto Kris’s wheel around the windy field. Sage is obviously healing and regaining her formidable fitness, she’s close, too. Kris gaps me as my legs are protesting furiously, wondering why they aren’t propped up in a comfy chair at a beer garden someplace.

I settle into my own pace, up front enough to avoid any mayhem in the early obstacles. After the first lap most of the course snakes though the trees and motocross course, we didn’t have to go back out into the field. Good thing, that would have made it a power course, not a finesse course since I had no power. Kris goes off course and I sneak up to her. With a half lap to go, I’m on her wheel waiting for my chance. She slows too much through the obstacles and I have a choice to either lose momentum or show her a wheel. Oops, with three corners to go, I show her a wheel and she knows I’m there.

We round the last corner, I take the inside line knowing I’d swing wide at the exit, hopefully blocking her a little and I try to round up a sprint for the last 30 feet. I lost by a half a wheel for second place. Sage took third, not bad at all for either of us on toasted legs. The course was great and the racing was fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment