Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Cyclocross Season 2009: Hillsboro Fairgrounds, Oct 25


Race report: Cross Crusade at Hillsboro, Oregon, Oct. 25, 2009

Women’s Masters A, 14th Place

By Elaine Bothe


Shout it out! My washing machine is working overtime. Finally we got mud.

Mud two layers deep inside my clothes. Luscious sticky grassy mud, some deep wet puddles, sloppy squishy hairpin corners and slick traverses to balance out the long gravel parts. And, bumpy mud! a first for me. The goal is to stay upright!

In and out of horse barns, through gates and across the fields. This year we skipped the show arena that was full of knee-deep muck and who knows what else. Well, actually, we DO know what else.

Weather was cool, it rained in the morning before our race. I layered up this time, so I stayed warm waiting for the start. Again, I’m in the back so I have to hang onto traffic until I can start picking people off. Not a bad draft, though, over the gravel road at the end of our steamin’ freight train!

The first muddy corner opens a door for some progress. A lot of people just slipped out. My tires are true, I pass a few people but too bad my legs aren’t at full steam yet, as a few of them passed me again on a long smooth straight.

I stay with Teammate Colleen for a little bit, I attempt a pass but that lights a fire and off she goes. Go!! Yay!! Suuuure, Colleen, you’re tired after finishing 3rd in Salem on Saturday, the day before! Good job! (Quite a Sorella showing there, too, way to go everyone!)

After a couple of laps my heart rate settles down and I can get busy. I see a couple of targets ahead and I go for it. The passes stick. I’m starting to see lots and lots of teammates, yay! Good job everyone! (My apologies to one of you, though, for a less than courteous pass… I thought I had lots of room on the left as it looked like you were heading down the middle. And I don’t think you heard my call-out. So sorry! You were looking good though! Way to go!)

Then I see a couple, maybe three more competitors amongst lap traffic, I plan ahead to catch them on a particularly treacherous muddy corner and it works. One woman gets by me later… Last lap.

And another. Rats. But I get her back. The other one, I don’t know her, gains some ground through the horse barns. I don’t give up, waiting for my chance. I hear a commotion from the spectators ahead, then a cheer. I pop out of a barn into a corner and… nearly run over her as she’s getting up and away from a spill! Surprised, I quickly plot two potential moves.

More lap traffic through Plan A. My first idea didn’t work. I hang close, but she knows I’m there. On to Plan B.

OK. The last turn into the finish area is REALLY slick, I’ve seen a number of wrecks there already. There’s a bit of intact grass to the right, I hug tight as she goes wide. Some tricky maneuvering around a downed rider and, stand up, quick sprint, maybe 12-15 yards at most to the finish line.

I look ahead up course aiming for a point well beyond the finish. She sprints too, it seems pretty close as there were three or four in close proximity. Hope they can see my number…. And they did. She beat me by a hair, apparently!

I end up in 14th again, but there were a couple more people behind me than usual. Including Sarah, finishing on a borrowed pit bike! Ugh! Good job to Eileen, bringing home 4th place. Awesome! And after leading there for a bit! Yay to everyone for some good racing and fun times!

All in all, I felt more aggressive and had the legs to attack in the last half of the race. My dismounts and mounts are improving and I’m trying hard not to get dropped on the straights… but I was thrilled for the mud. It was a lot of fun but I’m sure glad I had eye protection and didn’t lick my lips!

See everyone next weekend, twice! Go Sorellas!


Photo courtesy of Mark Bothe.

No comments:

Post a Comment