Monday, November 2, 2009

Mt Bike, PIR Short Track 2009: Round 7 of 7, August 3. Upgrade!


PIR Mt Bike Short Track, August 3, 2009
Cat 1 Women, 7th Place

by Elaine Bothe

Short track season epilogue. I upgraded tonight after clinching the series title. It's fun watching the race I competed in last week, but kinda lonely at the same time. All my buddies were out there and I'm trying to keep warm.

I'm nervous, way outside my comfort zone. I don't know who's racing, how many or exactly how they stage.

I'm taking notes for next year. My new race is an hour later (Rats! should have brought the clear lens glasses!) and 10 minutes longer. (Yay! more time on the dirt.)

I get a rotten start (nerves) but manage to stay at the end of the pack. I even pick a few off, and all my buddies are cheering me on. There's a lot less traffic in this race, in a lot of ways it's easier. And, it's still fun. Bittersweet, though, since this is the last short track race of the series, and the highlight of my racing year. I'm bummed it's over.

Looking forward to next year, I have some work to do to stay competitive. I didn't finish last, I hope to improve by a lot!

Photo courtesy of Mark Bothe.

No comments:

Post a Comment